During this season of Thanksgiving, I’ve been reflecting on the things that I’m most grateful for. When I think about 2022 at Pillar, there’s a few words that come to mind…intensity, fun, growth, and teamwork. So, today I’m sharing 5 things that I’m thankful for as Thanksgiving week begins (and you’ll see why those words come to mind too).
1.) My Family
I’m thankful for the support of my family, specifically my wife and two daughters, who have all been very understanding and encouraging of my passion for solving big problems and starting companies. It’s impossible to start a company without the full support of your family and they’ve stood by me consistently for years on my journey (Pillar is my third ‘startup’).
2.) Our Team
I’m lucky to be surrounded by a team of absolute rock stars who live out the Pillar values on a daily basis. We’re all problem solvers and are anxious to help both one another and our customers, through all the ups and downs. Great talent can be hard to find, but when a team gels, you know you’re onto something special. And we’re really lucky to have something very special. I’d like to give a quick shoutout to the individual departments within Pillar:
- Engineering & Data Science: Pillar wouldn’t be here without our incredible engineering team who brings our product roadmap to life and gives our customers a stellar experience.
- Sales: It takes an enormous amount of grit and perseverance to build a new category, and you have done an amazing job. I couldn’t imagine doing it with a better team.
- Design: We continually get praised for our ease of use. I’m lucky to work with a design team that approaches each task in such a thoughtful and positive way. Oh…and I might be biased, but the Pillar brand is truly unique!
- Customer Success: Our customers are our lifeline. Thank you to our Customer Success team for building such great bonds with each and every customer and for continuing to help them achieve their goals.
- Marketing: It isn’t easy to stand out in a crowded space with limited resources, but you’ve achieved amazing things. I’m thankful for the fun and intensity you’ve brought to us and for being the engine that is building Pillar into what it is.
I cherish the time we spend together in person and am impressed every day with what you do and how you do it.
3.) Our Customers
I’m so grateful for our amazing customers and the relationships we have built together. I appreciate both the fun we have and the challenges you set for us, for driving us to help you everyday and for the trust you put in Pillar. I get the greatest satisfaction from hearing how we’re impacting your ability to build better teams and the stellar results you’re achieving.
Not only am I thankful to work with such great companies, I’m also appreciative of talent acquisition and HR teams as a whole. They’ve been severely tested over the past couple of years through Covid, work from home, the BLM movement, and more. I have a ton of respect for how they’ve navigated through turbulent times while still being able to achieve great things.
4.) Our Competitors
Yes, you read that right, I’m thankful for our competition. Why? Because they push us to improve Pillar in all aspects…from our product to the way we market ourselves. Competition drives innovation, and it would be a lonely place if we were innovating on our own. I’m thankful to them for always challenging us to be better.
5.) Paddle Tennis
Running a startup takes a lot of time, but we all know it’s important to have time to disconnect and do something different. One of the things that gets me out of the house is paddle tennis, a sport I’d never seen 5 years ago. It’s a great way for me to step away from work while catching up with friends and doing an activity that I thoroughly enjoy. I love learning new things, I love competition, and I’m thankful I have the opportunity to play.
It’s always great to step out of the day-to-day and realize how much I have to be thankful for each year. I hope you have the opportunity to think about what you're thankful for during this holiday season, and I’d love to hear about it! Send me a DM here with your list.
Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving,